Physical Education at St. Bridget’s School
At St. Bridget’s Catholic Primary School we aim to provide high quality Physical Education that will inspire our children to participate in a wide range of physical activities and to develop knowledge and an understanding of the benefits of leading healthy and active lifestyles. During Physical Education lessons the children are given the opportunity to learn and develop new skills which will encourage them to participate in sports and to promote healthy lifestyle choices in the future. The lessons include games, gymnastics, dance, swimming and water safety, athletics and outdoor adventure activities.
The aims of physical education in our school are:
- For the children to receive regular exercise;
- To develop and explore physical skills with increasing control and co-ordination;
- To work and play with others in a range of group situations;
- To develop the appreciation of fair play, team play, honest competition and good sportsmanship;
- To develop the way they perform skills and apply rules and conventions for different activities;
- To increase their ability to use what they have learnt to improve quality and control of their performance;
- To recognise and describe how their bodies feel during exercise;
- To develop enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and imagination;
- To develop an understanding of how to succeed in a range of physical activities and how to evaluate their own success;
- To have the opportunity to take part in a range of competitive, creative and challenge- type activities, both as individuals and as part of a team or group;
- To understand that PE and sport are an important part of a healthy active lifestyle.
We offer a range of after school activities including, Hi-5, football, cricket, rounders, running and multi-skills. These are delivered by school staff and outside specialists. They encourage the children to further develop their skills in a variety of activity areas.
The school also maintains links with outside agencies such as:
- Copeland School Sport Co-ordinator Programme
- St. Benedict’s School • Whitehaven Academy
- Egremont Rugby League
- Egremont Cricket Club
- On side Coaches
- Robin Wood Activity Centre
- Aqua Splash Swimming Pool
At St. Bridget’s we put on an end of year KS2 show which enables all the children to learn a dance and perform on stage. Each year the children in year 5 get the opportunity to participate in the Cyclewise scheme whereby they learn to maintain their bikes and learn how to ride safely on the roads.